Saturday, August 1, 2009

Big Fat Manifesto

The book Big Fat Manifesto by Susan Vaught was interesting  to say the least. Here's a short summary: Fat girl (her term not mine) needs money so she writes a column for her school newspaper (which she is an active member of) for a scholarship  about her daily life and the horrors of being fat in a world that is obsessed with being skinny, along the way her boyfriend gets gastric bypass surgery a procedure which greatly reduces the size of your stomach so you can't eat as much.

Well, maybe thats a crappy summary oh well here's what I thought of it. I liked the book up until about the halfway point when she started to seriously rag on skinny people. I am as mentioned pretty skinny and have tried to gain weight healthily and have not really been successful, however reading about BWNTE (bitches who need to eat) hit a rather sensitive nerve to say the least. After that I had no sympathy at all for her not because of her circumstances but because she supposedly didn't care about her weight, in fact she reveled in it and yet she was not satisfied enough to leave other people's weight alone when she would do nothing about hers. Now don't get me wrong I have no problems with her wanting to stay large but why should she impose her views on other people when she hated theirs imposed  on her?

On a scale from 1-5 I would give it a 3 because even though I didn't like it much it did inspire me a lot and was well written.

No comments:

Post a Comment